Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Teach a man to fish...

There are others out there that are "experts" on this bike game subject. The 1's, 2's, and local Pros that have been there, done that, and just know what its all about. I remember when I first started going on group rides and showing up to Hains Point. I didn't know Jack about group cycling etiquette, technique, or anything. I remember getting yelled at to hold my line, to stop pulling off the wrong side, and having dudes push me out of pacelines. I was new to it all and excited, but there was no instruction for me...just what I was doing wrong.

I was (and still am) one of those guys that wants someone to tell me how to better at biking. If we do something stupid, tell us, but don't drop the f bomb on us keep cursing. Instruct. Esmonde like to dish out teachings on the sprint and how to maximize the chance of a good outcome. "Put it in the gutter" is a favorite of his. Nima does a decent job of this too at HP...he's big on placing people in the right position in a paceline. If the wind is coming left to right, and you're out of position, he'll ride up behind you and actually push you into a better position to help yourself out and those riding behind. Add an explanation on "why" that position is better and we're golden.

Overall, if everyone tries to help out our fellow cyclists to make them better, the sport and our races in general will get better.

Cheers

1 comment:

RayMan AKA StingRay said...

Did someone drop an F bomb your way at HP?

I remember my first experiences down HP a couple years ago, and couldn't believe the speeds and how windy it got. I quickly realized how weak I was when I stuck my nose out of the draft and had to keep pace or get dropped. I also quickly realized there was serious etiquette as to the do's and don'ts down there. I remember many a time hearing some of the veterans screaming and yelling at people doing stupid shit. I now realize how dangerous it can be riding with someone that has no clue what they are doing.

I also learned what to do by sitting and watching the stronger riders.

I agree, educating newer riders on the etiquette will go a long way in making safer and more enjoyable training rides.