Monday, January 7, 2008

How sweet it is

First ride of the new year on the new bike.

Rode from the Hill down to hains point, out to Arlington, through Gtown, back to the point and back home. About 23.5 miles. Didn't really push anything as I was trying to feel out the new bike and see how the legs were.

First things first: Specialized makes some mean equipment! I loved my Giant and I still do, but this Tarmac S-Works e5 is something else. I think the weight is about the same, maybe a little lighter with the Specialized. The e5 is stiff though. Point it in a direction and pedal and it goes. I didn't really do any hard efforts, but it felt more responsive than the Giant. I'm looking forward to really putting it through the ropes.

While doing some laps down at the point I bumped into a Adam from the club. We got to talking and started shooting the sh!t about the upcoming season. I like where his head is at 'cause he thinks like I do. We both agreed that the art and school of racing is exciting when it comes together within a team. Sure, being strong and fast is nice, but having those characteristics and being a good teammate, racing as one, and sacrificing for another is choice. I got to thinking about some of the races where I finished close to dead last this past season, but contributed to a teammate getting into the top 10. It felt good. Sure I got some looks from spectators that came across as "man, that guy sucks" but it didn't bother me...I knew I had done my job for the day and I was satisfied.

Anyway, tomorrow is the first day of getting my @ss handed to me. I'm heading down to the point for lunch. Should be packed down there...60+ degrees and sunny.

Cheers.

2 comments:

RayMan AKA StingRay said...

great to hear you got out today and that it was more than a 5 mile ride.

Depending on the weather, I might try to get to HP on Thursday.

Jesse said...

c'mon now...to early for trash talking. j/k

Tomorrow is HP day. 60+ degrees and sunny. I'm getting fit on the new rig Thursday at CHB during lunch.