Monday, April 6, 2009

Déjà vu

So of course I'm still thinking about Sunday. The more I thought about it, the more I kept thinking I had been in this position before. So I started looking back through some old posts and I found it:

Ann Arbor Criterium

It was my post from the Ann Arbor Criterium I did last September. You don't have to read it, but I'll paraphrase here:

We ended up dropping one of the guys and me and a guy from Michigan built our lead to about 17 seconds....The guy I was with was the strongest guy in the race (eventual winner) and I was dying trying to recover and hold his wheel....I made a decision that I'm regretting now, but race and learn...I made the call to sit up...Looking back I wonder if I just wussed out when I went back to the field and that if I had just put the head down and gutted it out, maybe payday would have been a little sweeter... I kept thinking to myself, wondering, "could I have suffered through the pain and recovered on his wheel?"

Damn, eh? I could copy that word for word and it would be applicable for what went down yesterday. There was one point when there was about a 3 second gap between the two that rode off from Steven (ABRT) and I where I now think I should have tried to make that last move to try to get across and just suck wheels for the rest of the race. If I had made it across, and that is a big IF, maybe I could have recovered for a lap or two and then had something....I guess you forget how beat you were the next day, right? I don't think I could have, but I always wonder if it was mental weakness at that point in time. A little more training and a little more suffering and we'll see how the rest of the season goes.

1 comment:

Matt Neigh said...

I get dropped from alot of breaks and wonder the same thing all the time re: did I just wus out.